Prosecards from the Edge (of a Continent)

A running commentary on my life in Izmir, Turkey...and other thoughts.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Fifteen Minute Walk

Not a breath of wind, and at 9:30 a.m. it's already uncomfortable. The bay is still and glassy, the humidity coming off of it clinging to the skin and inundating clothing. A grungy brown layer of smog hovers overhead, trapped between the ranges of mountains on either side. It is so thick that I can scarcely make out the buildings on the far side of the water. Out on the waterfront, not a living creature moves. Even the seagulls are not airborne today -- they are out there on the bay, buoyant statues bobbing on the surface of a great, gray mirror. My limpid, dirty, sweating city is not at its finest today. After fifteen minutes, I abandon my exploratory foray and head back to the comfort of my cool, dark house and life-giving air-conditioner. A quick peramble, a swift diagnosis, a speedy retreat: me -- Groundhog of the Aegean? The thought makes me giggle. At home, I change clothes for the second time and slice some ice-cold watermelon. There will be other, better days.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger etoews said...

Hey Kate! Your bro here (Erik) out here in California just dropping you a quick like to let you know what a great job it is you're doing with your writing; I wish I could do half as well.

Things aren't quite that hot out here on the west coast just now, but they are on fire. You gotta love California: we're either drowning in mud or a towering inferno.

Now roll over and baste yourself!

Love,

e

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Kate's Occasional Blog said...

Hey big bro!

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the good words on the blog...nice to know that someone besides myself actually reads it. :-)

The worst of the heat has passed, and now the weather's actually really pleasant -- good for BBQ and beer!

California...what would it be without fires and mudslides? They're part of its charm, aren't they? I hope that you and your house are out of harm's way, though... What have you been up to these days? Still triathaloning? There's an international triathalon out this part of the world (Alanya) in October...maybe you should consider it? Hope all's well with you and that I'll hear from you again soon!

love,
K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home